Vegan Waffles & Cinnamon-Infused Maple Syrup
Happy Pride 2021! Today, we’re highlighting the first transgender person to be nominated for a Emmy Award in any acting category. You guessed it, Laverne Cox. What’s the best way to celebrate her? Well, only Laverne would be able to answer that, but we think she’d love to eat her childhood favorite food: Eggo waffles. Laverne went vegan in 2017, so enjoy these vegan "Eggo" waffles with cinnamon-infused maple syrup.
For the waffles:
- 1 1/2 cups vegan milk of choice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the maple syrup:
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups maple syrup
- Pack LĒVO Herb Pod with 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half or into smaller pieces if necessary.
- Place LĒVO Herb Pod in reservoir and pour in 2 cups of maple syrup.
- Set LĒVO to Infuse for 45 minutes at 185 °F.
- Dispense into a glass container and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegan milk, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to make them fluffy.
- Add the sugar, infused coconut oil, and wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a spatula to gently mix the batter together. Batter should be thick! Some lumps are completely okay.
- Get out your waffle maker! Preheat it to your favorite setting. Then grease it!
- Pour waffle batter into the waffle maker. Close the lid and let it cook until the steam stops coming out of the machine.
- Serve with cinnamon-infused maple syrup! Enjoy!
Recipe inspiration from Jessica in the Kitchen.